This is the perfect recipe for game day or to stave off the bone-chilling days of fall.
Pin this recipe to pull out for your next tailgate, potluck or dinner for any night of the week.
- 1 tablespoon olive/canola oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red and green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped (ok to substitute canned)
- 1 can (28-ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 can (15-ounces) low sodium black beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-ounces) low sodium kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-ounces) low sodium pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-ounces) whole kernel corn, drained (or frozen whole kernel corn)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, and carrot in the pot until tender. Mix in red and green bell peppers. Season with chili powder. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
Mix the mushrooms into the pot. Stir in the tomatoes with liquid, black beans with liquid, kidney beans with liquid, pinto beans with liquid and corn without liquid. Season with cumin, oregano, basil and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over steamed broccoli, baked potato or in a bowl.
140 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated), 26g carbohydrates, 470mg sodium, 7g protein, 7g fiber, 6g sugar
Recipe from Cecelia Jacobson, Registered Dietitian for the Oregon Heart and Vascular Institute at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend.