Take taco Tuesday to the next level.
Update your taco recipe with this vegetarian version. Hearty and light, it’s perfect for any day of the week – or as leftovers!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2-3 cloves of minced/pressed garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed (can substitute beans of choice)
- 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium corn, drained
- ½ - ¾ cup shredded cheese (pepper jack, Monterey jack or Colby jack)
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 – 2 diced roma tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro to taste
- 1 diced avocado, optional
- Choice of tortilla
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika in a small bowl to create the spice mixture.
Spread cauliflower florets evenly on baking sheet. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle with spice mixture and garlic.
Roast cauliflower florets for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and top with black beans, corn and cheese. Return to oven for five minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Top with tomato, onion, avocado and fresh cilantro.
Additional toppings can be added as desired.
Serve in tortilla of choice.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
160 calories, 6g fat, 22g carbohydrates, 8g fiber, 8g protein
Recipe from Cecelia Jacobson, Registered Dietitian for the Oregon Heart and Vascular Institute at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend.
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists