Patriotic side dish
This red, white and blue quinoa salad is potluck perfection and it’s great for any summer gathering. The combination of fresh fruit, crunchy almonds and nutty quinoa is an unexpected delight.
- 1 cup dry quinoa (optional tri-colored quinoa)
- 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries or raspberries
- 1 ½ cups blueberries or blackberries
- 1 ½ cups mango or pineapple or mandarin oranges or nectarine, optional
- ½ cup sliced/chopped, toasted nuts (almonds, pecan, walnuts)
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or juice from 1 large lime)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Fluff and place in a large serving bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup, lime juice and chopped mint until well combined. Pour dressing over cooled quinoa stirring well until combined.
Gently toss in trimmed strawberries (raspberries) and blueberries (blackberries) and toasted nuts to cooled quinoa. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
To toast nuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring until lightly browned and fragrant (about 2-3 minutes).
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
350 calories, 17g fat, 40g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 12g protein
Recipe from Cecelia Jacobson, Registered Dietitian for the Oregon Heart and Vascular Institute at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend.