Recipe: Baked sweet potato wedges and fries
September 26, 2018 | Recipes | Healthy You | Eating Right
Here are two versions of a healthier dish soon to be your new go-to when you crave potatoes.
Don't let pumpkin hog the spotlight. Sweet potatoes and yams are also fall favorites that are too good to be reserved just for the holidays.
We like the idea of healthy fries and wedges so much, we're offering two slightly different versions. Both recipes are quick and easy to make using your choice of spices to give it the punch of flavor you and your family like. Sweet potatoes offer lots of fiber, beta carotene and vitamin c.
Baked sweet potato wedges #1
- Cooking spray
- 4 large orange sweet potatoes or garnet yams (about 1.5 pounds). Scrub and remove eyes. Cut lengthwise into ¾ inch wedges.
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder/granules and ½ teaspoon salt)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
Sweet potato fries #2
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon of additional optional spices of your choice: smoked paprika, regular paprika, curry powder, chili powder, garlic powder, Chinese five-spice, garam masala, cinnamon, Cajun, chipotle powder, black pepper
Preheat oven to 400-425 degrees. Ensure upper and lower rack has space and top rack about 6” from heat source. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, so fries don’t stick.
Peel sweet potatoes and cut into “fry-shaped” pieces (about 1/4" - 1/2"), trying to keep them similar in size to allow fries to bake evenly.
Place half uncooked sweet potato fries in a resealable bag and toss with olive oil, cornstarch, salt and any additional spices as desired. Toss sweet potato fries in the bag until evenly coated. Repeat this for second baking sheet.
Arrange fries in a single layer, avoiding overcrowding. Bake for ~15-20 minutes or until fries are tender/crisp. Flip fries about halfway through cooking process.
Serve fries warm with desired dipping sauce.