Lasagna is one of those recipes that is typically passed down from generation to generation. This version uses thin ribbons of zucchini as noodles! We think your family members will approve of the switch-up.
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium zucchinis, shaved into strips with a peeler, omitting center seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 jar (24.5-ounces) reduced-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly shredded parmesan cheese
Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the zucchini and boil for two minutes. Drain well and set the cooked zucchini aside in a colander to continue draining.
In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the turkey, Italian seasoning and garlic and sauté, breaking up the turkey to crumble it. Sauté for 5-6 minutes or until the turkey is just cooked through.
Add the entire jar of marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer for two minutes, then stir in the drained zucchini. Continue to simmer for 2 more minutes.
Stir in both cheeses and stir until melted.
Choices/Exchanges: 2 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein, 1 1/2 Fat
Nutrition facts (serving size: 1 cup):
calories 205; Carbohydrate 11 g; Protein 18 g; Fat 10.0 g; Saturated Fat 2.4 g; Sugars 6 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 55 mg; Sodium 345 mg; Potassium 590 mg
Source: American Diabetes Association