An updated take on the classic taco salad, this zesty and savory meal is ideal for lunch or dinner. Antioxidant filled walnuts add richness, nutrients and crunch while sweet corn and black beans bring the southwestern flavor.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 3 cups, no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen sweet corn, prepared according to directions, then cooled
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- 1-pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 (5-ounce) container baby spinach and kale blend
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ½ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place walnuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Toast for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool. Chop roughly once cooled.
Add baby spinach and kale greens, walnuts, black beans, corn, mozzarella, tomatoes, scallions and cilantro to a large bowl or equally between 6 containers if meal prepping. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Add rice vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and black pepper to a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.
Pour dressing over salad mixture if eating right away. Or if meal prepping, divide equally into 6 individual salad dressing containers, and pour over salad mix when ready to serve.
Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
416 calories, 21g fat, 51g carbohydrates, 13g fiber, 15g protein
Adapted from: Walnuts.org
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists