Add shrimp or chicken for a complete meal.
Easy, homemade dressing elevates this salad but doesn’t add many more steps. With the help of a blender or food processor, the recipe comes together in only a few minutes.
- 10-ounce package baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups strawberries
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup jicama
- ½ cup pecans or nuts of choice, lightly toasted and chopped if preferred
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (or preferred cheese)
- Optional: Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or other fruit of choice.
- ¾ cup strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons 100% orange juice
Rinse and dry spinach. Clean strawberries and slice. Tip: Use an egg slicer to make this quicker. Rinse and peel kiwis, cut in half and slice. Peel the jicama, removing the brown skin and thin layer of flesh just under the skin. Dice the jicama into bite size pieces.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
Serve in individual bowls and top with cheese and nuts as desired. Drizzle the dressing over and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
230 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 140mg sodium, 27g carbohydrates, 6g protein
Recipe from Cecelia Jacobson, Registered Dietitian for the Oregon Heart and Vascular Institute at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend.