Make this for dinner tonight
This orange chicken brings the taste of take-out, but from the comfort of your own kitchen. It’s healthier and can be customized to your tastes and preferences. We suggest serving with a side of veggies or with cauliflower rice.
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Combine the cornstarch and flour in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Remove any excess fat from the skillet. Add the orange juice, water, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, coriander and pepper. Bring to boiling, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the scallions, sesame seeds, orange zest and chili flakes and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 235 calories, 9g fat, 11g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 26g protein
Adapted from: Diabetes Forecast
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists