Heart disease is not just a man's disease. In fact, it's the #1 killer of women.
Jane Luu, MD, interventional cardiologist at PeaceHealth, shares key information about the effect gender has on the cause and treatment of heart disease:
- Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, stroke, COPD and lung cancer combined.
- Women will wait longer to seek care for heart pain (or other symptoms).
- The most common symptom of a heart attack for men and women is chest pain, but women can have several different symptoms.
- In women, plaque might not show up as a blockage in the artery.
- Broken heart syndrome is real.
Watch the video to learn surprising facts about what puts women at greater risk for heart disease.
Watch on YouTube