Make-ahead meal for any night of the week.
The combination of sweet potatoes, beans and lean ground turkey is so flavorful. Paired with traditional chili flavors like cumin and chili powder, with an unexpected addition of curry powder. Make a batch of this chili for your next game day.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-ounces) sweet potato puree or canned pumpkin
- 1 can (4-ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ½ ounces) low-sodium great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Optional: Sour cream, plain Greek low-fat yogurt, fresh cilantro and sliced red onions
In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, 5-7 minutes. Break the turkey up into crumbles and drain fat. Transfer to a 3- or 4- quarter slow cooker.
Stir in broth, sweet potato puree, chilies and seasonings. Cook covered, on low 4-5 hours. Stir in beans, cook until heated through, about 1 more hour.
Serve in bowls with optional sour cream, plain Greek low-fat yogurt, fresh cilantro or sliced red onions.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
243 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 606mg sodium, 27g carbohydrates, 20g protein, 7g fiber
Adapted from: Taste of Home
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists.