Bag the bread. With this flavorful option, you won't miss it.
Although we may not have "Strawberry Fields Forever" we can make this recipe whenever strawberries are in season. A vegetarian and lightened-up version of a more classic chicken lettuce wrap. We think you'll enjoy the combination of sweet strawberries with tangy vinegar and crunchy nuts. Give it a try this summer!
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped seedless cucumber
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped radishes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 24 butterhead (Boston or bibb) or green leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 ounces goat cheese (chevre), crumbled
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, poppy seeds, and pepper. Add cucumber, celery, and radishes, stirring to coat. Just before serving, stir strawberries, pecans, and snipped basil into cucumber mixture. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the strawberry mixture onto each lettuce leaf. Top each with about 1 teaspoon of the goat cheese. If desired, garnish with basil sprigs. Serve immediately.
Calories 73, Total fat 6g (1g sat. fat), Cholesterol 4 mg, Sodium 79 mg, Carbohydrate 4g (1g fiber, 2g sugars), Protein 2g.
Source: Diabetic Living