Seeing your doctor once a year is an important step in making your health a priority.
Yearly checkups are an easy and essential way to take care of your whole self.
Here are three reasons everyone — of every age — should get an annual checkup.
1. Ensure your health today.
- Let your provider know what you’re doing to stay healthy. Are you following a special eating plan? How often are you physically active? Ask for ideas to consider that might help you set or reach more goals.
- Talk with your provider about chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes or arthritis. A proactive plan can give you the help you need.
2. Promote health in the near future.
- Screenings for conditions such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes can help catch them when they’re easiest to treat. If you're due for a new or routine screening, the sooner it’s done, the sooner you can set your mind at ease.
- Vaccines can help significantly reduce your chances of getting sick from preventable illnesses such as the flu, measles, whooping cough, shingles, pneumonia and more.
3. Lay the groundwork for long-term health.
- Talk with your provider about your personal and family health history. This conversation can help you decide what to do now to reduce your risks for future health concerns.
- Ask your provider what to do as you get older to prevent or delay joint pain, vision or hearing loss, incontinence or other conditions that can come with age.
Some checkups can be done from the comfort and convenience of your own home using video visits. Call your clinic to see if this is an option.
For in-person visits, be assured that our clinics are doing all we can to keep you safe and healthy while you’re here. Learn what to expect for in-person visits at PeaceHealth.
With any type of visit, you play the most important part. Decide beforehand what you want to get out of the time you’ll spend with your provider. To help you feel prepared, here are a few tips on making the most of your appointment.