EUGENE, Ore. –PeaceHealth plans to embark on the biggest changes to the PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center, University District campus since the hospital was expanded in the early 1980s.
Beginning in April 2021, crews will start work on a 15-month revitalization project. This involves the removal of four vacant buildings, including the former Johnson Unit and the remaining wing of the former Sacred Heart General Hospital.
As part of this project, the main hospital lobby will be repositioned to accommodate the surrounding construction work and then revitalized to become a more vibrant hub for our patients, visitors and caregivers. A dining area will be added to the lobby and the Chapel and the Heartfelt Gifts shop will be moved to more prominent spaces.
“PeaceHealth has been planning to remove these outdated, unused buildings and to make the hospital lobby a more inviting, active space,” said Todd Salnas, chief operating officer, PeaceHealth Oregon network. “This work in Eugene is part of the evolution of PeaceHealth’s long-range plan to guide investment in our facilities throughout our networks in Alaska, Washington and Oregon.”
During the modernization project, PeaceHealth will continue to care for patients in the main hospital tower and the inpatient Behavioral Health Unit. PeaceHealth Medical Group clinics at 1200 Hilyard St. and all other PeaceHealth offices will continue with current hours of operation.
Mementos significant to PeaceHealth’s heritage will be inventoried and archived, and PeaceHealth will work with local and nonlocal nonprofit groups to recycle usable building materials, furnishings and equipment.
PeaceHealth’s Mission is to carry on the healing legacy of our founding Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. To fulfill our Mission, we are committed across our networks to a long-range plan that will modernize and expand our facilities to further meet our patients’ evolving needs.
About PeaceHealth: PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a group practice with more than 900 providers and 10 medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. The Sisters shared expertise and transferred wisdom from one medical center to another, always finding the best way to serve the unmet need for healthcare in their communities. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of the founding Sisters and continues with a spirit of respect, stewardship, collaboration and social justice in fulfilling its Mission. Visit us online at peacehealth.org.