Vegan potato salad recipe.
If there was ever a potato salad that was made for a potluck then this is it. Mayo-free and safe to eat at room temperature, this recipe is ideal for family BBQs, camping or any day of the week.
- 2 pounds mixed baby new potatoes, and/or fingerling potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then drained
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 sprigs of chives, chopped
- Flakey sea salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon
Place the potatoes, garlic cloves and a tablespoon of kosher salt in a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to medium, simmer 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Drain. Place the potatoes back in the hot pot. Remove the garlic gloves. Cover the pot and let the potatoes steam for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the cooked garlic, drained cashews, mustard and olive oil in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy, adding water if needed to thin slightly.
Cut the potatoes in half and add to a large serving bowl. Add the cashew sauce, basil, dill, chives, lemon juice and a pinch each of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. Serve warm or cover and place in the fridge. Can be served at room temperature or cold.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 292 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, 5g protein, 4g fiber
Adapted from: Half Baked Harvest
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists.