A great tasty filling lunch or supper, especially when the chill of autumn hits.
Pull your Instant Pot out of the cupboard, and use it to cook this delicious and hearty barley mushroom soup. The soup can also be made on the stove top.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup cooked chicken or turkey, shredded
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup hulled or pearled barley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, bite-size pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 cups mixed greens (spinach, beet greens or swiss chard), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper and dried thyme
Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Saute onion, pepper, garlic and mushrooms until soft; about 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth and water to onion mixture; bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in chicken or turkey and barley. Simmer until barley is tender; about 30 minutes for pearled barley, 60 minutes for hulled.
Stir in mixed greens and seasonings in final 10 minutes of cooking.
166 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated, 3g mono/poly) 19mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 12g protein