Is your family trying to make new healthy habits this year? Have you tried the 5-2-1-0 approach?
It's a good model for anyone of any age to follow. The numbers represent the following every day:
- 5 veggies and fruits
- 2 hours or fewer of screen time
- 1 hour of exercise
- 0 sugary drinks
You and your family can make up your own ways of adopting 5-2-1-0. Plus you can switch things up from season to season.
Here are some ideas for putting 5-2-1-0 to work in January:
- Make a pot of soup. Try a new recipe that includes fresh vegetables. If you don’t have fresh, frozen can be just as healthy. Canned veggies are good too, but check the label. Some canned goods can be a sneaky source of salt or sugar. If the recipe makes more than you need, freeze the extra to save for later.
- Walk in the rain. A cool umbrella or colorful pair of rubber boots can make this activity more inviting.
- Do an indoor chore. If you're stuck inside because of rain or wind, why not take some time to clean out a closet or a dresser drawer? You might find clothes that can be donated. As you work, ask each other questions or talk about what’s on your mind.
- Sip a cup of hot tea. Herbal teas come in various flavors that might appeal to the kids.
These might seem small. But over time, simple steps can help your family build the habits you want.
Staying healthy isn’t always easy. When you or your family are under the weather, PeaceHealth is here for you — ready to help you get back to feeling better.