9 tips to safeguard your season's getaways
Heading to the woods? Beach? Lake?
Here are several tips to consider on your seasonal getaway, wherever it takes you:
In the woods
- 90 minutes of walking in nature can calm your nerves.
- Dress in layers.
- Avoid blisters by having snug-fitting socks and shoes that let you wiggle your toes.
On the water
- About 50 percent of Americans can't swim. Please wear a life jacket!
- Rivers and lakes can look cool on a hot day, but be careful about getting too chilly.
- Reflections off the water can intensify UV rays. Wear sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.
At the coast
- A riptide can go faster than an Olympic swimmer. Be alert and if in doubt, don't go out.
- Between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., stay in the shade to prevent sunburn.
- Cloudy? You could still get a sunburn. Slather up with sunscreen.