The surgery itself is only one part of the spine surgery process. Many other factors contribute to the success of your surgery, including your understanding of the steps before, during and after surgery.
We have implemented a comprehensive planned course of treatment. We believe you play a key role in promoting a successful recovery. Our goal is to involve you in your treatment through each step of the program.
Education Before Surgery
This free orientation class covers what you need to be doing to be prepared for surgery, what you need to bring to the hospital, what your days will look like in the hospital after surgery, how you need to have prepared your house for going home, appointments you need to have set up prior to coming into the hospital for right after you are home, and so much more!
- When: Every Thursday from 4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Location: East Tower entrance, Third Floor, ASB Conference Room, PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center (pdf)
- Register: This class should be scheduled as soon as you know you need surgery. Register through your surgeon's office or contact Shevaun Rudkin at (360) 788-6059.
Pre-Admit Screening Call
Lasting approximately 50-minutes, this call is scheduled ahead of your surgery. Setting aside time to go over your medical history and medications, for examples, ensures everything is up-to-date before your surgery.
Patients are provided a Guidebook prior to their spine surgery. It provides education for before and after surgery, using detailed explanations, checklists and illustrations to help you better understand what to expect from your surgery, including:
- Overview of our Spine Care Center
- Frequently asked questions
- Checklist for before surgery
- What to expect during your stay
- Caring for yourself at home
- Readying your home after surgery
- Exercises before and after surgery
PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center
2901 Squalicum PkwyBellingham, WA 98225