Schizophrenia: Warning Signs of Violence
There are some common signs that can suggest that someone with schizophrenia may become violent. The person may:
- Talk about violence. This is especially true when the talk is directed toward specific people, groups of people, or places.
- Talk, write, or draw about death and violence.
- Have unexplained mood changes or behave in an aggressive or violent way.
- Buy or talk about having weapons or other means that could hurt or kill people.
- Not take responsibility for his or her actions, or say that the actions are justified.
- Drink alcohol or use illegal drugs more often.
- Have increased fears of other people (paranoia).
- Say that he or she hears voices telling him or her to hurt or kill another person.
Most people with schizophrenia aren't violent. But if violence is likely, they need help. Getting help is a way to protect the person or those around him or her.
Current as of:
October 20, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Christine R. Maldonado PhD - Behavioral Health
Current as of: October 20, 2022