Every new mother needs lots of encouragement and support. Some new moms and babies need extra help to get started with breastfeeding. You’ll get lots of support from our nurses and lactation consultants. These are nurses specially trained to help mothers successfully breastfeed. We are guided by the World Health Organization’s Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
While You Are in the Hospital
All of our breastfeeding mothers are encouraged and supported by our experienced nursing staff. Lactation consultants are available every day of the week for those who need extra help. While you are at Sacred Heart, you will receive:
- Hands-on breastfeeding help at your bedside
- Tips for solving common problems in the early weeks of breastfeeding
- Information about breast pumping and storage, if needed, plus information about where in the community to rent or buy pumps
Back at Home: Outpatient Lactation Support
You can keep getting breastfeeding help from our lactation consultants even after you leave the hospital. If you have unexpected problems with breastfeeding, call us to ask a question or to make an appointment. During your visit, a lactation consultant will:
- Talk with you about your breastfeeding experience
- Help you with a feeding
- Weigh your baby
- Create a personalized plan to help you overcome any breastfeeding problems you may have. We will write down the plan and explain it to you. We will also give a copy of the feeding plan your baby’s doctor.
If you still need help after your visit, you are welcome to return. We want to help you have a successful breastfeeding experience.
For More Help
For more information and support, visit Nursing Mothers Counsel of Oregon.