Updated chicken noodle soup recipe.
This chicken noodle soup recipe is an updated version of one that you may have in your recipe book. The addition of spinach and fennel up the veggie factor, and lemon zest and lemon juice make the flavor bright.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 whole sprigs, plus 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 (3-inch) strips lemon zest, cut from 1 lemon
- 1 small head fennel, thinly sliced (2 cups), fennel tops reserved
- 1 ½ pounds bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 inch piece of parmesan rind, optional
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups, whole-wheat extra-wide noodle style pasta, 2 ¾ ounces (recommended Ronzoni Healthy Harvest)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan, plus extra for passing
- Lemon juice
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and crushed red pepper flakes and cook until the onions begin to soften about 5 minutes. Meanwhile tie the parsley sprigs, lemon zest and fennel tops together. Add the herb bundle, broth, 2 cups of water, chicken, and, if using, the cheese rind.
Bring to a very gentle simmer and simmer until the chicken is cooked through about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones in large strips and set aside.
Meanwhile, add the sliced fennel, carrots and celery to the broth and season with salt, to taste. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the noodles and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved chicken, baby spinach and parmesan until the chicken is heated through and the spinach is wilted.
Discard the herb bundle and cheese rind. Stir in lemon juice, to taste.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls and serve with additional parmesan for passing.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
261 calories, 6g fat (1.5g saturated fat), 402mg sodium, 23g carbohydrates, 31g protein, 4g fiber
Adapted from: Food Network
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists.