Oven baked chicken
This low-calorie dish is perfect year-round and is a great way to try a new flavor profile. It can be customized to be mild or a little spicier depending on preference.
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see note) or curry powder, mild or hot
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1 ¾ - 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed of fat
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 mango, diced
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Position rack in the upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
Whisk yogurt, chutney and garam masala (or curry powder) in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Remove the chicken from the sauce and transfer to the prepared broiler pan; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt.
Broil the chicken until the coating is charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue cooking until it is slightly charred and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more.
Meanwhile, combine mango, onion, mint, vinegar, brown sugar and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Serve the chicken with the mango salad.
Note: Garam masala is a fragrant blend of ground spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It’s in the spice section of most supermarkets and specialty stores.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)*:
*1 thigh and about ½ cup salad
289 calories, 9.9g fat (2.9g saturated fat), 336mg sodium, 19.9g carbohydrates, 29.9g protein, 2g fiber
Adapted from: EatingWell
Reviewed by PeaceHealth dietitians and nutritionists