FibromyalgiaFibromyalgia syndrome is a disorder that causes pain, tenderness and stiffness in the muscles.
- Sleep disorders with non-restorative sleep
- Tingling and burning sensations
- Memory problems
- Irritable bowel and bladder syndromes
- Dry mouth
- Sensitivity to medications
- Intolerance to heat, cold, noise, and light
The current diagnostic criteria presented by the American College of Rheumatology (1990) states that the following indicators must be present for a diagnosis of fibromyalgia:
- Wide-spread pain involving muscles of four quadrants, including the trunk, which has been present for at least three months.
- Excessive tenderness of 11 out of 18 tender points.
Patient EducationOur program provides comprehensive patient education over the course of eight visits, usually within six weeks.
Topics covered, include:
- Conditioning program via walking or aquatic exercises
- Gentle strengthening exercises
- Pacing strategies
- Proper posture and body mechanics training
- Proper stretching technique and individualized stretching program
- Relaxation techniques and abdominal breathing
- Sleep strategies
- Stress management considerations
- Trigger point release
- Use of home modalities (heat/cold) and other symptom-reducing techniques
3217 Squalicum PkwyBellingham, WA 98225