Quick Tips: What to Do When You Crave Nicotine
Got a craving right now?
The cravings for nicotine can be intense for the first few days when you stop smoking, but they will get better with time. Here are some tips on how to cope:
- Use nicotine gum, lozenges, or an inhaler.
- Distract yourself. Stop what you are doing, and do something else.
- Try to stay away from other smokers, at least in the beginning of your quit. Seeing others smoke often makes cravings worse or triggers you to want a cigarette.
- Stay away from cigarettes, or, better yet, get rid of them.
- Remind yourself why you stopped smoking.
- Remember that most cravings do go away after 20 minutes.
- Take a bath.
- Call a friend.
- Get active. Go for a walk, a bike ride, or a swim.
- Drink a glass of water.
- Suck on a piece of hard candy.
- Listen to music.
- Chew on a toothpick or a piece of gum.
- Relax! Try deep-breathing exercises or yoga.
- Do a puzzle or some other activity that uses your hands.
- Take on a household task.
What else works?
Use the space below to add to the list of things that help you get through a craving.
Use this space to add to the list of things that help you get through a craving.
Current as of:
March 22, 2023
Author: Healthwise Staff
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Christine R. Maldonado PhD - Behavioral Health
Current as of: March 22, 2023
Medical Review:Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & Christine R. Maldonado PhD - Behavioral Health