A toxin is a poison made by living cells or organisms. Toxins can cause health problems on contact or when they are absorbed by the body.
The severity of a reaction to a toxin varies greatly. A bee sting causes a minor reaction in most people. But eating food containing botulinum toxin can cause a deadly reaction. Usually, the severity of the health problem caused by a toxin depends on:
How often a person is exposed to the toxin.
How much toxin was in contact with or absorbed by the body.
How poisonous the toxin is.
Treatment can be as simple as staying away from the toxin and limiting future exposure. In some cases, treatment with medicines can prevent serious illness.
Clinical Review Board All Healthwise education is reviewed by a team that includes physicians, nurses, advanced practitioners, registered dieticians, and other healthcare professionals.
PeaceHealth endeavors to provide comprehensive health care information, however some topics in this database describe services and procedures not offered by our providers or within our facilities because they do not comply with, nor are they condoned by, the ethics policies of our organization.