Volunteer Opportunities at United General Medical Center
Volunteers are an integral part of our dedicated team, devoted to the health and well being of our patients and guests. Every day, volunteers of different ages and talents can be seen throughout the Medical Center, offering their support in various roles. We offer many unique and exciting volunteer opportunities to match range of interests, skill levels and abilities.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at United General. There are many ways to get involved and we will work with you to find a role that aligns with your skills and interests.
Opportunities include (but are not limited to):
Welcome patients as they enter the hospital, give them directions, and answer questions. Assist front desk with clerical tasks if needed.
Gift Nook Cashier
Assist in running the gift shop. This position includes customer service, cash handling and some merchandising.
Volunteer in the hospital café and kitchen! Assist with dining room cleaning, restock, and perform simple kitchen tasks. Work with café manager on special projects if desired.
Visit with patients to offer a listening ear in an effort to assure that patient questions and concerns are addressed.
Volunteer handlers and their canines provide emotional support, encouragement, stress relief and entertainment for patients and staff throughout the medical center. Position requires Therapy Animal Team registration through Pet Partners.
Provide free, unbiased information about health care coverage and access. Advise services for evaluation, planning and using health insurance, including public health programs. Training provided.
Provide direct spiritual care for patients, families and PeaceHealth caregivers across the continuum of care. Chaplains promote healing of body, mind and spirit through direct care and advocacy for the spiritual and emotional needs of those whom they seek to serve.
Provide calming and soothing music for patients, families and staff as a way of reducing stress, tensions, and anxieties.
Comfort Cart/Art Cart Volunteers
Maintain and assist patients with using our comfort item cart and/or art cart in various departments around the hospital.
Volunteer in one of our care units including our rehab clinic, emergency department, surgical department and cancer center. Assist caregivers and patients in the assigned unit through cleaning, running errands, and simple tasks.
Apply to Volunteer
We’re excited to have you apply to volunteer with us! To volunteer at United General Medical Center, you must be 17 years or older and be able to commit to a volunteer shift for a minimum of six months.
- Complete an application form: Application forms may be obtained from the Front desk or Volunteer Services. Completed application forms may be returned by mail, email or delivered to Volunteer Services in the hospital. To request an electronic copy of the application form, please call us using the contact information on this page.
- Interview: After submitting the application form, Volunteer Services will reach out to you to schedule an interview. During the interview, you will be asked to complete a background investigation form. Depending on your position, a second or longer interview may be required.
- Complete health screen with Employee Health. During your interview, you will be given instruction for scheduling a visit to Employee Health. You must be cleared by Employee Health before volunteering in the hospital.
- Complete Orientation and Training: During orientation, we will go over PeaceHealth organizational integrity, hospital safety and important details of your position.
Our auxiliary consists of an active group of volunteers who donate their time and support for the benefit of PeaceHealth United General Medical Center. The auxiliary operates the Gift Nook on the main campus and coordinates a variety of fundraisers and events throughout the year.
Watch for our annual Penny Drive campaign held all year, Pearls for My Girls Auction held on the first Saturday in November, our Holiday Bazaar in November and a plant sale in May.
Auxiliary Board Members
- Christine Chase, President
- Brenda Sem, Vice President
- Janet Dahl, Treasurer
- Julia Johnson, Secretary
- Nancy Rodriguez, Gift Nook Retail Manager
- Keli Baker, Community Outreach Coordinator
- Tracie Skrinde, PeaceHealth Human Resources, Senior Partner