COVID-19 and Vaccine Information
Masks are still required in healthcare settings per CDC and state health department guidelines.
On August 3, 1890, two members of the fledgling Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace left their convent in Newark, New Jersey, bound for Fairhaven, Washington, a remote logging community in the country's far northwest corner.
Their charge: to build a hospital to care for loggers, mill workers, fisherman and their families.
The opening of St. Joseph Hospital ushered in more than a century of Catholic health care ministry in the Pacific Northwest by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace and their lay colleagues.
The order's Foundress, Mother Francis Clare, was an activist Irish nun whose reformist zeal often put her at odds with Church hierarchy. She became internationally known for her work and writing on behalf of women and the poor.
By 1916, the spirit that defined and launched the health care ministry in Fairhaven had grown to include five hospitals in Washington, Alaska and British Columbia. In 1936 it reached Oregon as well.
In the early 1970s, the Sisters decided to form a separate structure to oversee their hospital services to more effectively meet the challenges of contemporary health care and to partner with qualified laypersons who shared in this important work.
The name of the organization was changed to PeaceHealth in 1994 to better reflect our mission and heritage. In March 1997 the health system board of trustees was granted status as a Private Pontifical Juridic Person to ensure the continuation of the healing ministry as a Catholic health system under lay leadership in service to the communities.
To this day, the religious community remains committed to its Foundress's vision of achieving peace through social justice in its life and ministries.
The Sisters have entrusted to their lay colleagues the important mission of carrying on the healing mission of Jesus through exceptional medicine and healing in a gracious and compassionate manner to all those come to PeaceHealth for care.
Our promise of the Spirit of Health is a continuation of the healing ministry begun in 1890 in Bellingham by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace and their lay colleagues when they founded St. Joseph Hospital to care for loggers, mill workers and their families.
Our promise guides what we do and how we go about doing it. It is relationship-centered. It is based on the premise that everything in the environment affects recovery and healing. Very little is neutral; almost everything can either enhance or impair the healing process for our patients and their families.
From our faith tradition, the Spirit of Health integrates healing in a holistic sense: a focus on the physical, emotional and spiritual wellness of our patients. Our goal is to provide highly reliable, safe clinical treatment, striving to use the best that technology and science can provide.
The Spirit of Health guides us as we continue to transform our health care system through networks of care serving many communities. It guides us as we develop our models of care in service to our patients and families. It guides us in how we hire, develop and respond to the needs of our caregivers. It guides us as we design facilities. It guides us as we continuously improve systems, processes, programs and organizational infrastructures.
We will have fulfilled our vision when every PeaceHealth patient receives safe, evidence-based, compassionate care: every time, every touch.
The Spirit of Health combines the science and art, the head and heart of our health care ministry.
The Spirit of Health is the cornerstone of our culture at PeaceHealth.