Healthier campfire favorite.
Everyone who tries this will be asking for “s’more!” A healthier version of a campfire favorite – without a campfire being needed.
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
- ¼ cup pitted, soaked Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce, or more to reach the preferred consistency
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place all ingredients in the food processor, except marshmallows. Blend until smooth.
Transfer to a baking dish or cast-iron skillet. Cover with mini marshmallows and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the marshmallows begin to melt and turn golden brown.
- Fruit: sliced apples, sliced pears, strawberries or banana.
- Pretzels or graham crackers.
- Cinnamon pita chips or spread on cinnamon raisin bread.
*You may also substitute with 1 (15-ounce) can of white beans, drained and rinsed.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
110 calories, 1.5g fat (0g saturated fat), 170mg sodium, 23g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 13g sugar, 4g fiber
Recipe from Cecelia Jacobson, Registered Dietitian for the Oregon Heart and Vascular Institute at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend.