Plan for Pet Care
Before Your Hospital Stay
Sooner or later almost all of us will need care in the hospital. It may be planned, elective procedure or it may be an emergency. Either way, it is important to have a plan to care for your pet.
Options for Pet Care
Family Member or Close Friend as your Pet's Caregiver
- First, identify a person who is willing to take responsibility for the care of your pet. This may be a family member or a close friend.
- Second, prepare an Emergency Pet Care Plan for your pet's caregiver to follow in your absence. A downloadable sample plan is available, click here.
- Maintain a current record of your pet's medical history, including medications, and provide a copy to your pet's cargiver. Copies of your pet's medical record may be obtained through your veterinarian.
Kennels provide a place to board your dog or cat. Services and facility settings vary. Arrangements to board your pet must be made in advance.
In-home Pet Care
The stay-at-home option for your pet may be best. Arrangements with a provider must be made in advance.
Pet Care Services
For a list of business providing pet care lodging and in-home services, please visit the Whatcom Humane Society, click here.
Financial Assistance for Pet Care
Finances don't have to stand in the way of getting proper care for your pet while you're hospitalized. At PeaceHealth, financial assistance may be available to hlep you with pet care expenses. To find out if you qualify, or for more information, please contact our Hotline to the Heart at 1-844-749-8817.
Emergency Pet Care
If you have a medical emergency and require immediate hospitalization, the Whatcom Humane Society (WHS) can provide the following assistance:
- Emergency pick up and transport of your pet to the WHS shelter facility
- Emergency care for your pet up to 14 days
For more information, please contact the Whatcom Humane Society at 360-733-2080 x3017, or visit www.whatcomhumane.org.
Note: WHS cannot provide long-term care for your pet. Pets left at the shelter for over 14 days will be considered abandoned.
For a downloadable brochure, click here.For a downloadable Emergency Pet Care Plan, click here.
PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center
2901 Squalicum PkwyBellingham, WA 98225