Robotic surgery FAQsWhat is Minimally Invasive Surgery?
In the past ten years, new devices have given surgeons the ability to conduct surgery through small incisions. We call this type of surgery "minimally invasive" because it does not require large incisions and long hospital stays. The techniques and devices, which are sometimes called "scopes," bring a lot of benefits to patients. At PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center, we're committed to using them whenever and wherever we can.
The benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
- less pain, trauma, and loss of function to the patient
- decreased blood loss during surgery
- increased safety
- shorter recovery
- Gall Bladder Removal
- Hernia Repair
- Thyroid Treatment
- Liver Biopsy
- Kidney Surgery
- Ovarian Cyst Removal
- Sinus Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
The da Vinci Surgical System uses advanced robotic technology allowing physicians to operate through small, dime-size abdominal incisions and direct robot “arms” to perform surgery with a variety of specialized surgical instruments. Seated at a console, the physician views the surgical area through a tiny endoscope camera that reveals three-dimensional images magnified significantly larger than the actual size. The controls at the console allow the physician to move the robotic “hands” with precision, eliminating the natural tremor of even the steadiest of human hands.
What are the advantages of the da Vinci Surgical System?
- A quicker recovery. Robotic surgery reduces pain and trauma to the body, allowing patients to recover quicker and return to their normal activities faster than with traditional open surgery.
- A better view. Cameras used in normal endoscopic surgery provide two-dimensional images. The da Vinci system provides 3-D images that can be magnified allowing physicians to get a better look at the operating area.
- More with less. The da Vinci allows surgeons to use minimally invasive surgical techniques for a greater number of surgical procedures.
The daVinci Surgical System is currently being used to help treat the following conditions:
- Urological surgeries (surgical treatment for prostate cancer and other conditions affecting the prostate)
- Gynecological surgeries (hysterectomy, endometrial and cervical cancers, ovarian masses, pelvic floor surgeries, uterine fibroids)
Click here for a complete list of physicians trained to use the da Vinci Surgical System at PeaceHealth Southwest.
PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
400 NE Mother Joseph PlVancouver, WA 98664