Safe place for newborns
The goal of Washington State's Safety of Newborn Children Law is to save the lives of newborns in danger of abandonment.
Under the law, you may leave your newborn in a safe haven if:
- You are within 72 hours of the baby's birth
- You physically hand the baby to a qualifed person
- at the emergency department of a hospital in Washington State, to an employee, volunteer or medical staff (doctor). This is the safest drop-off location. PeaceHealth Southwest's Emergency Department will provide safe haven for your newborn.
- at a fire station, to a fire fighter, volunteer or emergency medical technician.
As long as the newborn is brought in unharmed from abuse or neglect:
- No one will ask your name
- You will not be breaking any laws
- Your baby will be given medical care and placed in a good home.
- You will be provided with information on medical care and counseling.
Download Parent Information Packet
, or view other resources at the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services web page
.CALL A CRISIS LINE: 1-877-440-BABY (2229)