BenefitsLung cancer is an overwhelming word to hear, as it typically develops without early symptoms, so when symptoms do occur, the cancer is often advanced. This can make surgery difficult to perform, due to poor medical health. CyberKnife offers a minimally invasive alternative treatment option for treating lung cancer for those who cannot undergo cancer surgery due to their poor medical condition.
- Delivers radiation directly to the tumor
- Minimizes exposure to surrounding healthy tissue
- Continually checks and compensates for any movement you make during treatments, ensuring accuracy
- Patient can breathe normally during the treatment sessions
- Achieves surgical-like outcomes, non-invasively
- Requires no recovery time. Most treatments are done on an outpatient basis
- Reduces pain
- Requires only mild sedation
Treatment ProcessLung cancer can be challenging to treat, as the tumor moves as the patient breathes making it difficult to zero in on the tumor. Unlike traditional radiation therapy, the CyberKnife System precisely identifies the tumor location as the patient breathes normally during treatment. The radiation beam can track the tumors movement in real time, which allows the patient to breathe normally during their treatment sessions. This allows the physician to zero in on the tumor, without harming the healthy surrounding tissue.
CyberKnife treatments are typically performed on an outpatient basis over a period of one to five days, requiring no overnight hospital stays. Most patients experience minimal to no side effects with a quick recovery time.
PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
400 NE Mother Joseph PlVancouver, WA 98664