Richard J. Leone, MD, PhD, FACS, FACC, FCCP
2979 Squalicum Parkway, Suite 201
Bellingham, WA 98225
Dr. Leone is Associate Medical Director of Cardiothoracic Surgery and serves as Director of the Thoracic Oncology Program.
His areas of expertise include adult cardiac and thoracic surgery, including valve repair and replacement, complex aortic surgery, including aortic stent grafts, and surgery for heart failure, including mechanical heart support. He is also an expert in minimally invasive thoracic surgery for lung cancer, including endobronchial ultrasound and video assisted thoracic surgery.
Dr. Leone received his M.D. from Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and his Ph.D. in Cardiovascular Physiology from Rutgers University and is the primary author of more than 30 peer-reviewed research articles. He completed fellowships in Cardiothoracic Surgery at The New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical Center and Thoracic Surgical Oncology at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, both in New York City. He has served on the Medical School faculty of Columbia University, New York and the University of Washington and frequently lectures on topics related to Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Dr. Leone serves as Chair of Clinical Chest Conference, a weekly multidisciplinary meeting of physicians who care for patients with thoracic cancers.
Scope of Practice
- Rutgers University/Robert Wood Johnson Medical School -– MD Degree, General Surgery Residency
- New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Center-– Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center -– Thoracic Surgical Oncology Fellowship
- Rutgers University - PhD Degree, Cardiovascular Physiology
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians