Answers to Your Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: What is the best approach for getting a prescription filled?
Our process in the new clinic is designed to get all refills processed in an orderly, timely fashion. Since most medical conditions and medications require regular physician exams and lab work, usually every 6-12 months, we must review all requests to meet these protocols and to assure patient safety.
- When you need a refill, please contact your pharmacy and ask the pharmacy to FAX your refill request to the clinic at 378-1785. (Be sure your pharmacy has our new fax number.)
- The staff at the clinic will review your refill request, noting whether you are due to come in for an exam visit or are due for necessary lab work, conferring with the physician as needed.
- If you are in need of an exam or lab, we will give you enough medication to be able to schedule an appointment. Then, at your appointment, you can obtain more refills directly from your provider.
- Your refill requests will be processed within 24-72 hours.
- It is important to monitor your supply of medications to avoid running out of necessary medications. Additionally, if going out of town or on an extended vacation, please check your medication supply PRIOR to your trip.
- You do not have to call in to the clinic to request your refills. Calling to your pharmacy FIRST should suffice to get the request to the clinic. IF you have encountered a problem with obtaining the refill, then call and speak to, or leave a message with your physician’s nurse.
Q: Why do I have to come in to the clinic to pick up narcotic or benzodiazepine prescriptions?
By new law, the paper (hard copy) prescription is required when the pharmacy dispenses these medications. The pharmacy cannot dispense unless they have received a paper copy of the prescription from you. You may pick up and sign for your hard copies at the front reception desk, between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The clinic and reception desk are closed over the weekend.
PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center
1117 Spring StFriday Harbor, WA 98250