Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis SymptomsSkip to the navigation
The most common symptoms of all forms of juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) include:
- Joint pain and swelling that may come and go but are most often persistent. Symptoms must last for 6 weeks before a diagnosis of JIA can be made.
- Joint stiffness that lasts longer than 1 hour in the morning.
- Irritability, refusal to walk, or protection or guarding of a joint. You might notice your child limping or avoiding the use of a certain joint.
- Often unpredictable changes in symptoms, from periods with no symptoms (remission) to flare-ups.
Additional symptoms vary depending on which type of JIA a child has:
|Effects of disease||Joints affected||Eye disease (chronic uveitis)||Other possible features|
|Oligoarticular JIA (persistent or extended)|| || |
|Polyarticular JIA, RF-negative|| || |
|Polyarticular JIA, RF-positive|| || |
|Systemic JIA|| || |
|Enthesitis-related JIA|| || |
|Psoriatic JIA|| || |
Other Works Consulted
- Hashkes PJ, Laxer RM (2005). Medical treatment of juvenile ideopathic arthritis. JAMA, 294(13): 1671–1684.
- Hsu JJ, et al. (2013). Treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. In GS Firestein et al., eds., Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, 9th ed., vol. 2, pp. 1752–1770. Philadelphia: Saunders.
- Warren RW, et al. (2005). Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis). In WJ Koopman, LW Moreland, eds., Arthritis and Allied Conditions, 15th ed., vol. 1, pp. 1277–1300. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
Primary Medical Reviewer Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Martin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Current as ofFebruary 24, 2016
PeaceHealth endeavors to provide comprehensive health care information, however some topics in this database describe services and procedures not offered by our providers or within our facilities because they do not comply with, nor are they condoned by, the ethics policies of our organization.
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.