Steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning include the
Purchase and install a
carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home
and near sleeping areas. Use those marked UL 2034 or IAS 6–96, which have met
the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines. Follow the directions
carefully for installing and using the detector. Be prepared so that you know
what to do if the detector alarm sounds.
Have your heating system
inspected each year.
Monitor appliances, chimneys, and vents for
visible soot, rust, stains, blockage, or corrosion. Also have them inspected
each year. When in use, make sure they vent properly to allow gas to escape
from enclosed areas. Don't close the fireplace or wood/pellet stove damper
before the fire is completely out.
Don't use kerosene or propane
heaters in an enclosed area. Don't use a gas kitchen oven to heat your
Don't burn charcoal or use a grill indoors.
place power generators or pressure washers near windows or doors of your
Don't use paint remover that has methylene chloride in it,
especially when children are around. (Methylene chloride converts to carbon
monoxide in the body.)
Don't smoke cigarettes or have your child
near someone who is smoking, especially in a poorly ventilated room.
For more information, see the topic Carbon Monoxide
ByHealthwise Staff Primary Medical ReviewerAnne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine Specialist Medical ReviewerR. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology
PeaceHealth endeavors to provide comprehensive health care information, however some topics in this database describe services and procedures not offered by our providers or within our facilities because they do not comply with, nor are they condoned by, the ethics policies of our organization.