Peace Harbor Medical Center Foundation
A History of Healing
In 1890, with no money in their pockets, two young Sisters ages 18 and 19, left New Jersey on a train bound for Fairhaven, Washington, a remote logging community in the country's far northwest corner. Their charge: to build a hospital to care for loggers, mill workers, fishermen and their families. The Sisters immediately began to collect building funds, going door-to-door, campsite-to-campsite. They sold "hospital tickets" for $10 each, entitling the holder to one year’s hospital care and physician fees. On January 9, 1891, less than five months after the Sisters' arrival, St. Joseph Hospital opened its doors.
Today, PeaceHealth remains committed to its Foundress's vision of collaborating with communities to care for all patients through philanthropic support and healing in a gracious and compassionate manner.
A Culture of Philanthropy
Since opening our doors in 1989, Peace Harbor Hospital has provided a level of patient care in advanced imaging and state-of-the-art technology that surpasses most other rural facilities. Having the best health care possible locally is important for all patients since someday we may be one.
Being a faith-based, not-for-profit, critical-access, rural health care system presents even more challenges than reciting its lengthy description. The key to our success in providing high quality health care is our strong culture of philanthropy. Our Foundation is committed to helping blessed people do beautiful things for the health and well-being of the Florence community.
We invite you to donate and become part of our mission of exceptional medicine and compassionate care.
For more information, contact Michele Diffenderfer, at 541-902-6589.
The mission of the Peace Harbor Hospital Foundation, a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) philanthropic organization, is to improve the health and lives of community members by providing charitable support to Peace Harbor Hospital.