The Cottage Grove Community Hospital exists today because of the generosity and philanthropic spirit of a group of local concerned citizens. The Cottage Grove Community Hospital (CGCH) was originally established in 1951, but declared bankruptcy and ultimately closed its doors in 1998. Faced with the dire and uncertain scenario of having no local health care services, a group of concerned citizens banded together and began the process of bringing a hospital back to Cottage Grove.
The group petitioned the federal government to have the Cottage Grove area officially designated as critical access, meaning any hospital located in the area would receive a higher rate of federal Medicare reimbursement. The group next partnered with PeaceHealth to begin the planning process for a new hospital facility. And finally, the group led community efforts to raise $2.3 million in charitable support from the community to open a new hospital.
The new, modernized CGCH officially opened for business in October of 2003. While finances and on-going funding continue to be a challenge, the 40,000-square-foot facility is currently able to provide Cottage Grove community residents local, vital healthcare services including: 14 beds, an emergency department, a complete lab, a radiology department and clinic space for the physicians of South Lane Medical Group.
Community gifts and support ultimately make the difference in providing adequate care and services and providing world-class care and services. Since officially becoming the Cottage Grove Community Hospital Foundation in the winter of 2004, charitable support and community gifts have provided the Cottage Grove Community Hospital with:
- Eye Tonometer for eye pressure reading of ED patients
- TTY phone for hearing impaired patients
- Automated ventilation system for ED patients in need of breathing assistance
- Funds to upgrade hospital landscaping
- New riding lawnmower for hospital grounds
- Automated scrubbing equipment for environmental support staff
- A-chord harp program for in-house, live soothing music
- Showers, containment unit, biohazard suits and bladder catch basin for disaster relief services
- On-going quality training for hospital staff
- Bladder scanner ultrasound equipment for hospital patients
- Funding to start the young driver Trauma Nurses Talk Tough program
- Cushions and safety equipment for radiology patients
- Front entrance sculpture and lighting
- Grant funding for the creation of a state wide small hospital quality collaboration network
- Funding for STD prevention outreach and education program for area Latino and Hispanic residents
- On-going customer service and stress reduction education for area CNAs
- Wheelchairs for patients
Cottage Grove Community Hospital Foundation is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) philanthropic organization that assists community members in supporting clinical and healthcare services associated with Cottage Grove Community Hospital.
Cottage Grove Community Hospital Foundation
Jessica Baker, Foundation Relations Specialist
1515 Village Drive
Cottage Grove, Oregon 97424