Appropriate hair removalWhat It Means
Percentage of selected surgery patients with appropriate hair removal prior to surgery.
Why It Is Important
Studies show shaving causes multiple skin abrasions that may become infected after surgery. When hair removal is needed, hospitals should be using a safer method of hair removal, such as clippers or depilatory.
Surgery patients with surgical hair removal using clippers or depilatory or with no surgical site hair removal.
All surgery patients with a principle procedure code matching a list of selected ICD-9-CM surgical codes
Denominator Excluded Populations
- Patients less than 18 years of age
- Patients who have a length of stay >120 days
- Patients whose principle procedure was performed entirely by laparoscope
- Patients enrolled in clinical trials
- Patients whose principle procedure occurred prior to the date of admission
- Patients who performed their own hair removal