Lead poisoning is usually caused by months or years of exposure to small amounts of lead at home, work, or day care. It can also happen very quickly if you are exposed to high amounts of lead.
Lead exposure can occur during work and hobbies if you breathe fumes and dust that contain lead. It can also happen if you swallow lead because of food, drinks, makeup, tobacco products, clothing, and hands contaminated with lead.
You can expose your family members to lead if you take lead home on your clothes, skin, or hair or if it is on your tools or in your car.
Jobs or hobbies that may involve working with lead or being exposed to dust or fumes from lead include:
|Primary Medical Reviewer||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology|
|Last Revised||June 5, 2012|
Last Revised: June 5, 2012
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.