Clinical Pastoral Education Schedule
Half-Time Unit starts early October
Half-Time Unit ends early March
- Applications accepted through June 30
- Application review completed by July 15
- Acceptance letters sent out August 16
Full-Time Unit starts early June
Full-Time Unit ends early August
- Applications accepted from January 1 through March 1
- Application review completed by March 15
- Decisions made by April 1
- Acceptance letters sent out May 16
CPE Program Components
In addition to providing direct spiritual care to patients, families, and staff, and sharing on-call responsibilities, the following are standard components of a CPE unit:
- Direct ministry: Students work with patients, families, and staff.
- On-call responsibilities: Students share 24-hour emergency response throughout the hospital, including evenings and weekends.
- Peer group work: Students participate in verbatim seminars, theological reflection, and interpersonal group meetings.
- Clinical supervision: Students receive group and individual supervision in all areas of training.
- Didactic seminars: Presentations are offered on selected issues relating to ministry and hospital chaplaincy.
- Reading and papers: Students are expected to do supplemental reading and prepare papers.