Hip & Knee GuideBooks
Patients are provided a GuideBook prior to their hip or knee replacement. Our Hip & Knee GuideBooks are a communication and educational tool for patients, physicians, physical and occupational therapists, and nurses. They are designed to provide education from six weeks before surgery, until three months after surgery and beyond, so that you know what to expect every step of the way.
These informative books use detailed explanations, checklists and illustrations to help you better understand what to expect from your surgery.
- Overview of our Joint Replacement Center: The Joint Replacement Center is a dedicated unit within PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Frequently asked questions: Our GuideBooks include a list of the most frequently asked questions along with their answers.
- Checklist for before surgery: A comprehensive list of things you will need to do from six weeks before surgery, up until the day of your surgery.
- What to expect during your stay: Details what to expect each day of your stay. It also covers how to effectively communicate your level of pain with your doctors and nurses.
- Caring for yourself at home: When you go home, there are a variety of things you need to know for your safety, your recovery and your comfort.
- Readying your home: After joint replacement surgery, it is common for patients to need special equipment to assist in their recovery. The GuideBook includes a list of this equipment, and a list of locations that carry these items.
- Exercises before and after surgery: Exercising before and after surgery aids in the recovery process. The exercises shown in the GuideBook include images and are specifically designed to strengthen the knee and hip joints.