PeaceHealth 2012 Nurses of Excellence Honored
National Nurses Week May 6-12
The 2012 PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center Nurses of Excellence Awards were awarded Monday, May 7, in a ceremony to honor the enduring contributions nurses make to patients, families and the community they serve.
The ceremony takes place during National Nurses Week, which began on National Registered Nurses (RN) Day on May 6 and concludes May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, considered the founder of modern nursing.
The 2012 Nurses of Excellence, by category, are:
- “Advocacy for Patients” – Cathy Sue Allen, RN, Intensive Care Unit: Recognizes a nurse who consistently acts on behalf of patients, their family and the community, providing support and encouragement in all aspects of care. This nurse acts to resolves ethical or clinical concerns.
- “Leadership” – Diane Rientjes-Green, RN (pictured on right), Behavioral Health: The leadership award acknowledges a nurse who supports and advocates on behalf of staff. This nurse leader acts as a catalyst for change to promote an environment for safe, high quality care.
- “Advancing the Profession” – Michelle Corzine, RN, Surgical Services: This award is for the nurse who demonstrates pride in the accomplishment of PeaceHealth St. Joseph nursing. This nurse has a strong community presence or participates in a professional organization and is instrumental in building relationships of respect for nurses.
- “Legacy of Nursing” – Kathryn Rose Goss, RN, awarded posthumously: This honor is awarded to a nurse who has retired and whose distinguished service has left a lasting impression. This acknowledges a nurse whose positive contributions to the professional practice of nursing champions healing, compassionate care and clinical excellence. The nurse honored with this award served as a role model for peers, new caregivers and nursing students.
- “Mentoring” – Mary-Ann Kolozsy, RN, Observation Unit: This award recognizes a nurse who mentors, teaches and coaches other caregivers in nursing practice excellence, caring and collaboration.
- “Distinguished Nurse of the Year” – Diane Rientjes-Green, RN (pictured on right): This capstone honor is awarded to a nurse, selected from among this years’ Nurses of Excellence, who has demonstrated exemplary knowledge, skills and behavior in all aspects of nursing practice.
Nancy Steiger, CEO/Chief Mission Officer for PeaceHealth St. Joseph, was joined by Kelly Espinoza in honoring PeaceHealth nurses and award-winners. Espinoza will officially join PeaceHealth as Vice President for Patient Care Services on July 2.
In 2009, the Nursing “Wall of Excellence” was established in the corridor by the East Tower with an art piece – “Healing Garden” by Seattle artist Kim Drew – which is on permanent display, along with the nursing awards. The wall’s art and award plaques reflect PeaceHealth nurses’ passion, gifts and compassionate service.