PeaceHealth Cancer Center Earns Commendations for Excellence
After a thorough on-site survey, the Commission on Cancer® (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons has given the PeaceHealth Cancer program a three-year accreditation with commendation. The review was conducted in mid-September by Dr. Jon Britell, who gathered extensive performance information to assist in the evaluation of the Cancer Program.
The surveyor assessed the Cancer program’s rate of compliance with 36 different standards. In its Performance Report, the CoC singled out six different areas for commendations of excellence. The surveyor made special note of the PeaceHealth Cancer program’s cancer prevention and detection programs, along with the Registrar’s superior work in abstracting timeframe, a standard not met by nearly one-third of nationally surveyed cancer programs.
“The three-year commendation from the Commission on Cancer is one of the highest accolades a program can achieve,” said Cancer Center Manager Karla Houk. “We have a wonderful facility and a tremendous staff, and this commendation reflects the hard work that everyone puts in every day to provide our patients with the best quality care."
The Commission on Cancer® of the American College of Surgeons grades the surveyed facility on important areas including cancer committee leadership, cancer data management, clinical services, research, community outreach, and quality improvement. Approval by the CoC is awarded only to facilities that have voluntarily committed to providing the highest level of quality cancer care. Patients receiving care at a CoC-approved cancer program will have:
• Comprehensive care, including a range of state-of-the-art services and technology
• A multispecialty, team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
• Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
• Access to cancer-related information, education, and support
• A cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results and offers lifelong patient follow-up
• Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
• Quality care close to home
The PeaceHealth Cancer Center offers complete cancer care including medical oncology, radiation therapy, infusion, and patient & family support services.