After becoming a PeaceHealth Southwest Volunteer, many choose to spend their time working in the Regional Cancer Center or Kearney Breast Center:
- Providing support to patients receiving chemotherapy treatment, such as beverages, warm blankets, or a compassionate ear
- Providing clerical support, such as stocking supplies, running errands, making phone calls, assisting with mailings.
- Greeting and assisting patients to prepare for screening mammograms or other procedures.
- Assisting Cancer Center staff and physicians at cancer screenings and special events, such as the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.
- Offering practical support to patients and their families through holiday giving, making hats or quilts, and more.
- Cancer Center volunteers must be at least 18 years old and have completed high school.
- Those who have had cancer must be a minimum of 6-12 months out from completion of active treatment.
- Individuals who have had a loved one with cancer must be a minimum of 6-12 months out from completion of their loved one’s treatment or death.
- Attend a 1-hour specialized orientation to introduce the basics of the cancer experience