Tangy Beet Soup
Gorgeous, healthy and delicious.
Serves 4 with leftovers
1 pound beets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1½ cups onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups red cabbage, shredded
1 14.75-ounce can tomatoes, diced
1½ cups chicken broth, fat free
2 cups water
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dill weed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup yogurt, low-fat
- Roast beets in 400° oven for 40 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife. Cool, peel, and quarter.
- In large skillet heat oil and sauté onions, garlic and cabbage until cabbage is wilted (about 10 minutes).
- Add rest of ingredients except yogurt, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Process in food processor or blender until fairly smooth but retaining some texture.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a pinch of dill weed. Serve warm or chilled.
Per serving: 111 calories, 3 gm protein, 20 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 2 gm mono fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 4 gm fiber, 530 mg sodium