Stuffed Acorn Squash
A tasty way to enjoy the fiber-rich goodness of lentils.
½ cup dry lentils
½ teaspoon salt
2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1½ cup onions, chopped
¾ cup mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ cup golden raisins
½ cup chopped walnuts
- Put lentils in pot and pour water over them until an inch above the lentils. Bring to boil and then let simmer with the lid on, about 20-25 minutes. The lentils should be tender but not mushy. Add more water if needed. Drain and add salt.
- Meanwhile, bake squash halves, cut side down, on a spray-oiled cookie sheet at 375° for 30 minutes or until flesh is soft.
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions and mushrooms until onions are transparent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked lentils and onion mixture to a large bowl. Use a spoon to scrape flesh from squash leaving skin intact and add to lentils and onions. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into squash shells and reheat just before serving.
Per serving: 343 calories, 10 gm protein, 52 gm carbohydrate, 14 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 gm fiber, 310 mg sodium