Think Spring Spaghetti
This is what spring tastes like: fresh, clean, and healthy.
And you can have it on the table in no time.
Serve with green salad
12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (or other pasta)
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ pound fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1" slices
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (may substitute sun dried tomatoes)
12 basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
8 slivers of reggiano or parmesan cheese
Red chili pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in large skillet. Add asparagus, garlic and pepper. Sauté 4 minutes. Add ¼ cup water or vegetable stock and simmer until tender (about 4 more minutes).
- Drain pasta, return to pot, and immediately stir in ricotta cheese until melted.
- Add tomatoes and asparagus mixture to pasta. Gently toss.
- Top with basil, lemon zest and cheese. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 404 calories, 19 gm protein, 70 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 4 gm mono fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 2 gm fiber, 107 mg sodium