Steps Toward Weight Loss Surgery
Here are the steps you can take toward a healthier tomorrow:
1. Attend one of our free informational seminars.
2. Confirm your insurance coverage for weight loss surgery. (Please complete this step prior to filling out your application.)
Please call the customer service phone number on the back of your insurance card to verify the following information:
(A) Do you have weight loss surgery benefits?
(B) What criteria need to be met to be eligible for the benefit?
If your insurance excludes the benefit, we offer many self-pay options.
3. Complete an Oregon Bariatric Center application.
Bring the completed application and a copy of the front and back of your current insurance card(s), to the informational seminar or mail it to:
Oregon Bariatric Center
3377 RiverBend Drive
Springfield, OR 97477
We will contact you within two weeks of receiving your application regarding the next step in the process.
4. Quit smoking.
To qualify for bariatric surgery at the Oregon Bariatric Center, patients must end all use of tobacco and marijuana products, including nicotene replacement products and vaporizer use. Consider enrolling in our Options Tobacco/Smoking Cessation Program if you need help.
5. Lifestyle visits
Once we receive your application, you will be invited to our office for the following:
- Evaluation with our surgeon
- Evaluation with our psychologist
- Evaluation with our dietitian
- Evaluation with our physical therapist (if recommended or desired)
- Extended dietary program (if required by your insurance)
- Weight loss surgery dietary education
6. Review committee
Once you have completed the above evaluations, our team will assess your readiness for surgery.
7. Insurance approval and preauthorization
Once the review committee approves your surgery and you have completed all of the necessary insurance requirements, our patient coordinator will work with your insurance company to get the surgery approved.
8. Preoperative appointment
Once your insurance company approves the procedure, we will schedule a preoperative appointment and surgery date for you.
9. Preadmission testing
Two weeks before your surgery date, you will need to complete preadmission testing.
Congratulations! You are now on your way toward a healthier future.