Specialty Care for Easier Breathing
Pulmonary Medicine addresses the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of lung and breathing disorders. Symptoms of these kind of problems include coughing, shortness of breath, wheezing, frequent respiratory infections and fatigue.
Breathing specialists use Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) to measure how well your lungs take in and release air and how efficiently your lungs transfer oxygen into the blood. Diagnosis may also sometimes involve imaging and lab tests.
Common breathing or lung disorders include:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Interstitial lung disease
Treatments for breathing disorders generally include short-term and/or long-term inhalers or other medications that help open your airways as well as avoiding smoke or other things that trigger breathing problems. Some lung diseases may require surgery.
PFTs are commonly repeated over several weeks or months to gauge how well a treatment is working.
Your primary-care provider will refer you to a pulmonary specialist if your condition requires this specialized care.
Pulmonary Medicine at PeaceHealth
PeaceHealth Medical Group has experienced pulmonary medicine specialists who can meet these special needs:
All offer a very personalized approach to lung care. Services range from routine assessments of chronic cough and shortness of breath to evaluating patients for lung transplants or specialized cancer treatment.
- Ranked Number One in Washington State by Healthgrades™ for Pulmonary Services (2012-2013)
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care™ for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Five-Star Rated for Overall Pulmonary Services for Three Years in a Row (2011-2013)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for Two Years in a Row (2012-2013)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Pneumonia for Eight Years in a Row (2006-2013)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Respiratory Failure for Three Years in a Row (2011-2013)
Visit our Healthgrades™ page for a comprehensive list of achievements.
3015 Squalicum Parkway, Suite 140
Bellingham, WA 98225
Phone: (360) 788-6112